Dowling Duncan and redesigning the American Dollar:
Why the size?
We have kept the width the same as the existing dollars. However we have changed the size of the note so that the one dollar is shorter and the 100 dollar is the longest. When stacked on top of each other it is easy to see how much money you have. It also makes it easier for the visually impaired to distinguish between notes.
Why a vertical format?
When we researched how notes are used we realized people tend to handle and deal with money vertically rather than horizontally. You tend to hold a wallet or purse vertically when searching for notes. The majority of people hand over notes vertically when making purchases. All machines accept notes vertically. Therefore a vertical note makes more sense.
Why different colors?
It’s one of the strongest ways graphically to distinguish one note from another.
Why these designs?
We wanted a concept behind the imagery so that the image directly relates to the value of each note. We also wanted the notes to be educational, not only for those living in America but visitors as well. Each note uses a black and white image depicting a particular aspect of American history and culture. They are then overprinted with informational graphics or a pattern relating to that particular image.
$1 – The first African American president
$5 – The five biggest native American tribes
$10 – The bill of rights, the first 10 amendments to the US Constitution
$20 – 20th Century America
$50 – The 50 States of America
$100 – The first 100 days of President Franklin Roosevelt. During this time he led the congress to pass more important legislations than most presidents pass in their entire term. This helped fight the economic crises at the time of the great depression. Ever since, every new president has been judged on how well they have done during the first 100 days of their term.
- oscarwildeis-dead reblogged this from subzy-mumzoid and added:
- asupernovaofirrationalthought reblogged this from fracturedmasterpiece
- subzy-mumzoid reblogged this from peaceamidstchaos
- liv3yourownlife likes this
- tillykitsch likes this
- amnesiakc reblogged this from backyardskills and added:
- mitchellsiefker likes this
- pinncockk likes this
- boobaby1994 reblogged this from finalfrontiering
- barefootsockmonkeys reblogged this from electricportcullis
- unanimousstars reblogged this from electricportcullis
- unanimousstars likes this
- electricportcullis reblogged this from illsleepinyourembrace
- odd-socks-and-eyebrows likes this
- purplerox44 likes this
- illsleepinyourembrace reblogged this from showtuna
- whatalovelypanda reblogged this from zadimortis
- a-killerqueen reblogged this from deepseaanglerfish
- zadimortis reblogged this from thejourneyisntover
- zadimortis likes this
- 20-seconds likes this
- somethingsyoudoforlove reblogged this from eyeslike-stars
- allysunn likes this
- jujube-86 reblogged this from pastichee
- itsgrapethebigbootyhoe reblogged this from untilhardtimes and added:
- showtuna reblogged this from thewizardofosnes
- let-the-rebellion-begin likes this
- livinginmyownmind likes this
- untilhardtimes reblogged this from malkined
- pennies-for-the-selfish reblogged this from ravesandpianos
- trigony reblogged this from ravesandpianos
- trigony likes this
- awakethevoice reblogged this from finalfrontiering
- skeptscism likes this
- thepaperbaronessofagloe reblogged this from lookingfor-jess
- ravesandpianos reblogged this from lookingfor-jess
- thelivingsculptures likes this
- dancingoverhemispheres reblogged this from finalfrontiering
- frauleinfunf reblogged this from musicalofethics
- b-i-b-b-y reblogged this from lookingfor-jess
- celtictechnoburrito reblogged this from lookingfor-jess
- celtictechnoburrito likes this
- deepseaanglerfish reblogged this from finalfrontiering
- pastatheory likes this
- lookingfor-jess reblogged this from finalfrontiering
- cinematimeline likes this
- thedeadliestoffandoms reblogged this from officialsubway
- rejoicify likes this
- finalfrontiering reblogged this from christopherpined